That's the pretty awesome title of Ben's current course. It sounds like a class on military strategy, and in a sense, that's exactly the point. It's six weeks of education on anything that could declare war on the human body...and what to do about it. Wait. Six weeks? Six weeks? I guess that's why I found myself quizzing him in church on Sunday.
Don't worry; we weren't at church. We were at a church. Waiting to begin an event celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And once it started, Ben stashed the flashcards. Without getting all political, I want to share my takeaway from the event. Inspired by the life and work of Dr. King, the keynote speaker, Reverend Al Sharpton, shared a variety of thought-provoking ideas and metaphors with the crowd. Rev. Sharpton pointed out that Dr. King's greatness came, in no small part, from his unwillingness to compromise his vision and values. He was a man who knew who he was and what his life's purpose was. And he shaped his actions around that purpose. Even when it was inconvenient.
So Rev. Sharpton challenged the group to decide: "What is the purpose of your life?" I'm working on answering that question for myself--I don't think I'm quite there yet. But I think Ben's getting pretty close. Whatever our greater purposes end up being, I hope that when we get to the end, we'll be able to say that we left the place better than we found it.
If you're interested in hearing Rev. Sharpton's entire speech, here's a link!
No comments:
Post a Comment