So it's a couple of days before they arrive, and Ben gets a phone call from one of these doctor-triathlon friends (we'll call him "Steve"), who was planning to visit Vermont to see M. and E. It was going to be our first Christmas alone--just the two of us, which was, perhaps, a sad prospect. So when we discovered that Steve might want to come up a night early, it seemed only natural to offer him a night on the pull-out. Which, as I've mentioned before, is exceptionally firm and located in the living room. The living room very near to the road. So you hear the late-night crowd accelerating around the corner all night. I guess it's the gesture that counts, right?
Since we were now having a party, we invited another good friend (who, incidentally, we also met through M. and E.), and the four of us spent Christmas Day together. As I recall, there were large quantities of cheese and Taboo involved. Over the weekend, there was no shortage of medspeak. And there may have even been a lecture on evidence-based medicine. But when it came time to cook Christmas dinner, the boys piled into the bike room. I thought it was impressive to fit three of them, but that was nothing compared to the next day when we squeezed yet another trainer in! Erica and I took that as our cue to hit the Church Street Marketplace.
I'm coming to realize that this is a unique community. With friends in various stages of medical education, you never know who's going to be on-call or alone for the holidays. And it's important to take care of each other. :)
I believe you are thinking of this photo, which while sadly not Christmas time, is directly related to the above mentioned folks: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=597704333609&set=m.1034592918.9405819
ReplyDeleteJust as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a village to support a medical student.
ReplyDeleteBen! The link doesn't work...thoughts?
ReplyDelete