What's Cooking

Thursday, November 4, 2010

What We're Learning

Ben's currently in a course called "Human Structure and Function".  Along with gross anatomy, embryology, histology and who-knows-what else, he's been learning the essential skills for a clinical exam. That means he needs his very own set of "doctoring tools".  Does anyone else find that term a bit...frivolous?  The first time I heard it, I thought it was a joke.  It wasn't.  But it still makes me laugh.

Anyway, before school started, Ben ordered his stethoscope.  This week, he added the reflex hammer and tuning forks to the kit. Needless to say, he was like a little kid on Christmas morning.  And since practice makes perfect, guess who gets to be the pretend patient!

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. As it turns out, my right knee may be hyper-reflexive.
2. If your doctor ever starts scratching under your ribs, he's probably looking for your liver.
3. The gurgling sounds in my belly are completely normal.
4. Brand new reflex hammers smell like gasoline and will drive your med student crazy until he figures out the source of the odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment