What's Cooking

Monday, November 8, 2010

Getting in to Med School

Awesome news! Our friend got his acceptance to med school today! Do you know what this means? You're going to be a doctor. Congratulations!

When Ben got into school, he was excited.  More excited than when we got engaged.  More excited than when we discovered adult milk shakes at Sky Burgers.  And if you were there on that occasion, you know just how excited he really was.

So he found out in December of last year.  He remembers very clearly what he was doing (acting as a control in the last segment of an ACL replacement study) and what the day was like (unseasonably warm and sunny).  I was...the 6th person to find out after:

1. the physical therapist conducting the ACL study
2. the grad student working on the study
3. the custodian working outside of the UVM COM admissions office
4. the professor who assigned the final grade upon which Ben's admission was contingent
5. the lady in the admissions office who accepted his payment. 

After all that, he stormed into my office (which I shared with an office-mate), slamming the door behind him.  And proceeded to share a piece of information so unimportant that I can't remember it today.  Me: (*expectant stare*) "Really? Is that really what you're so exuberant about?"  Him: "I got in!" I'm pretty sure he jumped up and down at that point.  I'm pretty sure I jumped up and down. I'm pretty sure my office-mate thought we had lost it.  It was a big moment. And it ranks right up there with other major milestones: our first home, our wedding...med school.  Fits right in!

3 comments:

  1. My guess is that Ben was more excited when he became engaged to you. On our long road rides this past summer, you were never far from his thoughts. I would be in the "Ben Ware House of Pain" trying to keep up and through my O2 deprived brain, I would barely decipher "blah blah blah Martha likes blah blah blah Martha thinks blah blah blah." You tow are a great couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and then you quickly ran into my office to share the joyous news and you proceeded to jump up and down with the hugest smile on your face!! I remember that day too :)

    I must have been the 8th person??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks for sharing that, Richard! And Melissa, I think that WOULD make you the 8th person. Of course, I'm sure there was some sort of exponential growth after that...

    memories. :)

    ReplyDelete