What's Cooking

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Identity Crisis


It occurred to me today that I have been having a perpetual identity crisis since I was about…14. Maybe it’s my recent birthday, but the dilemma is rearing its ugly head again.  I think, sometimes, there’s an added layer of angst in watching Ben pursue his own dream. Yay for him. Meanwhile, I don’t even know what mine is!
To give you an idea of how confused I’ve been over the years, here is a non-exhaustive list of the vocations I have actually considered. Keep in mind this list may include careers I mulled over when I was 5:  teacher, animal trainer, lawyer, baker, flight attendant, real estate agent, waitress, poet, writer, editor, copywriter/jingle composer, graphic designer, broadcaster, jeweler, milliner, nutritionist, personal trainer, yoga instructor, food critic, Martha Stewart (minus the prison time)…do you get the point? It changes daily.
What do I really want?  To live comfortably and quietly. To look forward to tomorrow. To be the master of my own destiny.  I don't think it's too much to ask.
I know we might not know each other that well, but what should I be when I grow up?  What do you want to be?

4 comments:

  1. You asked what you should be when you grow up. I think you should be independent and able to care for yourself, but also allow yourself to rely on others for help. As for careers, you should do something that makes you feel good about yourself and that you can do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baker, jeweler, food critic and motivational speaker for beginner runners...that's what you need to do because you do most of that now, so you might as well get paid for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. Keep the baker, food critic, and motivational speaker high on the list though I am sure you would excel in the other vocations as well. Hey, at least its not like when I was 5 and told my mother I wanted to be a garbage collector. I still remember the look on her face. Hey, from inside the house, it looked like a fun thing, riding on the back of a truck all day. OK, in this case, she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. Garbage Collector?! Why didn't I think of that!

    ReplyDelete